Saturday 11 February 2023

Best of 2022 ( music albums)

 Ok, I've finally managed to compile a list of my favourite albums for 2022 (yeah, nobody gives a fuck - but hey, its my profile). The total number of albums listened to, was around 78, which is a steep rise from my usual 45-50 per year - thank to spotify.

The list looks somewhat like an alternative albums chart, except for the stalwarts like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tears for Fears ( shocked that the rest of the world virtually paid little attention to that album) - and a couple more old timers ( Kula shaker - from where did they reappear? - and Bush ? I never really liked them, back then ) Two jazz albums feature in the top 30 too, and the Snarky Puppy album is a gem despite its 90 minute run time.

Speaking of running time - I think 35 minutes to 40 minutes is ideal, and most of the best ones here clock under 45 minutes.

Some of my usual favourites don't feature in the top 30 - which includes Eddie Vedder, both albums by Jack White ( and I was waiting for them ), and Bruce Springsteen ( whose covers album was only so-so, other than the obvious hit single - night shift). The two heaviest albums that I listened to too, miss the top 30 ( Meshuggah, and Ghost), as does Megadeth. At least one album proved to be beyond me - Bjork's Fossora. She becomes less accessible with each album, but I am almost 90% sure, the limitations are mine. Muse's album I thought was quite terrible, and it hangs on to the tail end. Bonnie Raitt and Def Leppard had decent albums, but I guess I've moved on - although I really must listen to Bonnie's grammy winning song once again, one of these days.

So now we look upon 2023 - the much anticipated stawarts, of course, and my favourites, Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, The Cure for example. But then let the bands that are out there, that I still know nothing of, surprise me - like Wet Leg, White Lung, Dawes, and Cola did this year.



2 comments: