Saturday 20 February 2021

"she refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring"


"she refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring" (Zelda Fitzgerald)





"I never dreamt that I would get to be
The creature that I always meant to be
But I thought in spite of dreams
You'd be sitting somewhere here with me..."
( Being Boring - Pet Shop Boys)

When "Being Boring" was released as a single in 1990 or so, I read ( must have been in the Sunday Times - I had very few other references at the time ), that Neil had so much hope for the song, hoping it'll be their biggest hit to date. He believed it to be one of their best songs. Of course, the fans didn't read into the song.  It peaked at a disappointing No. 20 in the UK top 20. Subsequently during  the 30 years since, much has been written about the song. If one reads the lyrics carefully, it makes references to the whole sexual revolution of the 20th century - flapper movement of the 1920s - subsequently staying dormant due to the great depression and world war II ; Gay rights of the 1970s, and the price that the young paid with their lives in the 1980s due to HIV. The reference to how
"some are here,
and some are missing,
in the nineteen nineties"
is touching. Their victories of the 1970s were checked, in the 1980s.

It is indeed a great song !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment