Wednesday 10 July 2024

Reflections upon the character of Daniel Plainview (in 'There will be Blood')

 



Someone said:
"You Live Most of Your Life Inside of Your Head. Make Sure it is a Nice Place to be."

But what if 'a nice place' isn't your favourite mind frame ? What if winning in each occasion, however trivial, is how you feel good about it - irrespective of how you get there? I got to thinking on these lines upon watching Daniel Day-Lewis' stellar performance as Daniel Plainview, in 'There will be Blood'. Some of the dialogues in the movie, and how certain incidents are deep etched in Daniel's mind, only to score victories against his purported perpetrators when the occasion arises, goes on to prove that his whole life until he finally says 'I'm done' is about winning each little battle against all those who crossed his path. None are spared - The man who posed as his half-brother Henry, Eli Sunday, and even his 'son' P.W.


At a time when he believes that Henry was his half brother, and he confesses thus:



Daniel Plainview: Are you an angry man, Henry?
Henry: About what?
Daniel Plainview: Are you envious? D'you get envious?
Henry: I don't think so. No.
Daniel Plainview: I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.










Eli puts on his convincing act of driving evil out, but in the process taking revenge for the beating he got from Daniel through ridicule:



 Daniel Plainview: [mumbles] Abandoned my child.
 Eli Sunday: Say it louder... say it louder!
 Daniel Plainview: I've abandoned my child! I've abandoned my child! I've abandoned my boy!
 Eli Sunday: Now beg for the blood!
 Daniel Plainview: [sotto voce] Please, give me the blood, Eli. Let me get out of here.
 Daniel Plainview: [aloud] Give me the blood, Lord, and let me get away!



 

 

 

Many years later when Eli returns to his now, relation, upon falling upon hard times, Daniel breaks Eli, thus:

Daniel Plainview: But there is one condition for this work.
Eli Sunday: All right.
Daniel Plainview: I'd like you to tell me that you are a false prophet.Daniel Plainview: I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been a false prophet.Daniel Plainview: And that God is a superstition.Eli Sunday: But that's a lie.
Eli Sunday: It's a lie. I cannot say it.[grinning]
Eli Sunday: -When can we begin to drill?
Daniel Plainview: -Very soon.
Eli Sunday: How long will it take to bring in the well?
Daniel Plainview: It shouldn't take long.
Eli Sunday: I would like a $100,000 signing bonus, plus the five that is owed to me with interest.
Daniel Plainview: That's only fair.
Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet, and God is a superstition.
Eli Sunday: If that's what you believe, then I will say it.
Daniel Plainview: -Say it like you mean it.
Eli Sunday: -Daniel.
Daniel Plainview: Say it like it's your sermon.
Daniel Plainview: Don't smile.
Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet. -God is a superstition.
Daniel Plainview: -Why don't you stand up? Put your glass down.
Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet. God is a superstition.
Daniel Plainview: -Eli, stop. Just imagine this is your church here and you have a full congregation, so...
Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet. God is a superstition

 In essence it was not money which drove Daniel Plainview throughout his life, but little victories and personal battles, which in essence must've made his head a very bitter place. But just maybe, bitter is a taste that some people enjoy as their normal mind frame.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment