Sunday, 20 September 2026

Intermezzo - Sally Rooney


This is the second book of the author I've read, and this time thanks to an audio book. I looked up the word, Intermezzo, and it is used to refer to a light entertainment between two acts of a musical work. This comparison could be thought of to match the circumstances the transient stages that almost all of the characters are facing in this novel - but primarily the two main characters - Peter and Ivan.

The second attractive thing about this book is its compassionate view on unconventional relationships. Human relations have their own way of finding meaning between two people - or more, as the case here, and to pass judgement on such relationships based on conventionality alone is proving to be a petty stance once one realises that empathy is such a necessary virtue for a happy world.

If one considers the writing style, Sally continues her short sentence style, which give off a narration style of crisp, point form type descriptions. This style possible opens up her a style in which more can be said in a concise way, without spending too much space on longer constructed sentences. 

“Well, if that's suffering, he thinks, let me suffer. Yes. To love whoever I have left. And if ever I lose someone, let me descend into a futile and prolonged rage, yes, despair, wanting to break things, furniture, appliances, wanting to get into fights, to scream, to walk in front of a bus, yes. Let me suffer, please. To love just these few people, to know myself capable of that, I would suffer every day of my life.”

These sharp short sentences give a deeper presentation of the characters' mindset as if to keep the pace of the thoughts flowing into one's brain, in a manner that is closer to a stream of consciousness. 

In summary I think I probably enjoyed Intermezzo more so than Normal People. Although another of the author's books is not lined for immediate reading, when an opportune slot comes my way, I will not hesitate to take up one of her books in the future too.

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment