Sunday 26 June 2022

The Graveyard Book & Coraline - Neil Gaiman

 I read two children's books written by Neil Gaiman - The Grave Yard Book , and Coraline (2002).



1) The Graveyard book was published in 2008. I've read three Gaiman book prior to this, all of which could be considered adult fantasy, and I was intrigued to read this, because my son, a teenager, found this dull - a notion that I don't associate with Neil's fiction.

So read I did, as a spare book ( meaning it usually received tit bits of 15-20 minute reading time - till today - when I was taken up with it, to complete it). It reads very well, and am unable to place as to why my kid found it interesting.   Frost's transition was true horror like, as he was painted as a self conscious, pleasant mannered, middle aged gentleman. I also liked how Gaiman describe the rustling, or the wind which is a ghost, and the fading - enough germ in how it has been written to think twice about totally writing these things off - unless your mind is set to do so. I think it will have an impact on a young mind, against ruling such things off, and maybe, just maybe that is not accidental, as an intention by the writer.

Rating: ****

2) Coraline, first was tried as an audiobook on my two elder kids. We used play it  in our car a good 7-8  years back. However I don't think we ever listened to the audiobook to completion. Later I got them a copy of the physical book, and both read it - while I couldn't. Not until now, when by way of reading it to my youngest child, I read the book.

   The book has the usual Gaiman charm, the unnamed chilliness, fear, although, to keep the read through. Few subtle messages add value to the book - that about parents paying less attention to their children, and the necessity of children accepting at and devising their own lives. The other part being the importance of not getting everything you want in life. Reading parts such as that offers a chance to digress, where it opens up a window to have a healthy chat with your kid, bordering on philosophy, and he/she too, getting a chance to dwell on such a thought.

Reading to your child offers a great opportunity to read all the books that you never could as a child - plus you become a better parent as a bonus.

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment