Sunday 30 May 2021

Pulp Fiction - D/ Quentin Tarantino (1994)

 The 90s was possibly my favourite decade, given that I spent most of my teen years as well the first half of 20s in it. As to be expected, music from the 90s had stuck with me, and they are still among my favourite - it is possibly the 70s, naturally which could contest it. But given that I've been a reluctant movie fan, I now find myself checking out, what is arguably the single most important movie - what with the pop culture - it is clearly a modern classic. The 155 minute run time is hardly felt. The humour combined with the violence makes a ironical combination, which almost makes it  a statement about the times - that in this day ( well, 27 years back - I guess in the scale of time - it is hardly a difference - although the world has become so closely connected since ), extreme violence, and humour all can sit side by side. American writer Danny Dedillo has supposedly stated  at the beginning of the 90s, that America is the only place with funny violence!

Few things I felt about the movie, I note below, for a look back on a future date. Otherwise  this movie doesn't warrant a separate write up. Am sure that the whole world has watched this, except me.

I loved the stretched conversations between the two hit men - Vincent and Jule. Be it Jule's moment of awakening after their lucky shave,  Mia's purported foot massage, or their continued little fights - with this being my favourite:

Jules Winnfield: Oh, man, I will never forgive your ass for this shit. This is some fucked-up
repugnant shit.
Vincent Vega: Jules, did you ever hear the philosophy that once a man admits that he's wrong that he is immediately forgiven for all wrongdoings? Have you ever heard that?
Jules Winnfield: Get the fuck out my face with that shit! The motherfucker that said that shit never had to pick up itty-bitty pieces of skull on account of your dumb ass.

Vincent's lines are equally witty. He knows that his boss' wife is dangerous grounds, however flirtatious she may sound. He tells himself :

So you're gonna go out there, drink your drink, say "Goodnight, I've had a very lovely evening", go home, jerk off. And that's all you're gonna do. 

and an hour or so later, after Mia just manages to save her life, the parting line to Mia;

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go home and have a heart attack

The conversations during dinner, where the "foot message" incident is alluded to, and how Mia cuts her husband's boys as a "sewing circle" too was a fine conversation, since she initially declined the request not to get offended.

  The Butch and Marsellus vengeance ending up as it did, also took my fancy. I guess the question of honour, and Butch deciding that Marsellus doesn't deserve such a low fate, makes the viewer feel good.

Wolf, made an impression from the time he picked up Marsellus call - the coolest operator, smartly dressed, for all the cleaning -that he gets others to do.

Jimmie Dimmick: Wow, you would never think it's the same car!
The Wolf: "Okay, lets not start sucking each other's dick just yet......."

 I thought Tarantino did a decent job as Jimmie.
Capt. Koons ( Christopher Walken) too does justice to his little cameo.

Overall, it was thoroughly rewarding experience watching the movie. after "Once Upon a time in Hollywood", and now doubly convinced that I must watch the rest of the Tarantino movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment