Monday 1 March 2021

The Joker - d/ Todd Phillips (2019)

Quite easily Joaquin Phoenix' as The Joker, is the highlight, in this movie, which can be one's favourite, or otherwise, depending on how much one takes to super-hero influenced  psychological thrillers. For some, who are particular about excesses, the movie can be a mixed bag. Clearly, this is more than an average movie of that type- that I grant. For example, I watched Black Panther for the sake of my kids a few years back, and I was not in awe.  Coming back to The Joker, while conceding it has its highs, the premise that Gotham city has declined to such a state, where "kill the rich" becomes a popular slogan suits a creation from comic roots - this, hung on to me like sore thumb. So while, appreciating the gradual lapse of Arthur Fleck to an insanity, due to being a victim of parental abuse, and due to the apathy of a rotting capitalist system  - ( the symbolic use of garbage not being collected due to a labour strike was good, I felt ) - the "excesses" as it were, including the slot that Arthur gets in Murray's show, didn't impress me. I am afraid that my capacity of treating super-hero/comic creations is at askance here. In fact I disagree about its nomination as the best movie at last year's Oscars. Joaquin's award is another matter.



Having said that, the similarity to "The Taxi Driver" ( I need to watch "King of Comedy), combined with the stellar acting of Joaquin Phoenix makes it a worthy watch. The Taxi Driver himself, Robert de Niro's role could've been filled by any other good actor, I felt - nothing special there.

My Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment