Saturday 2 March 2024

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens


 I read David Copperfield, as part of read-along, where we were to read this in parallel with Demon Copperhead, the latter which was inspired by the former. While I have progressed up to 61% of 'Demon', I have fast tracked Copperfield, upon discovery of an audiobook in the public domain - which I now recall was how I read ten and a half years ago too. Yes, the assurance that I had read this book before came slow to me, although the recollections came in bits and pieces - although at the start I knew as a fact that I had read the book. I think not till the arrival of Uriah Heep was I quite sure that I had read the book before. The knowledge that one can forget such large parts of a work one has read,  put me in some kind of despair. I now will type in the two paged essay that I had entered in my notebook with minimal modifications, for rereading it, I seem to have caught the summary of the book, and what I gleaned to by Dickens' objectives adequately. If the need be to add to this I will do so, noting it as such.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

03-07-2013

The preface to this novel states that this is 'the favourite of all his children'. For me too, this is the best book by Dickens. I came across since 'A tale of two cities'(1) - and I've read three in between - Hard Times, A Christmas Carol, and Great Expectations. Like the last two, I read this with the assistance of an audiobook.

The Narration of the younger days of Copperfield is probably the most heart yearning and the best part of the novel, I think. The hard times that Copperfield had to endure at the hands of the Maudestones, and the school master, Creakles - not to mention the hardships he had to endure at the counting house are examples.


After his fortunes turn for the better, with his arrival at his aunt, Ms. Trottwood, the book takes a different turn. It is beyond this point, that this work can be analsysed from a more socio-cultural point of view, that is somewhat customary of the author. Yet, prior to this point, such incidents as Steerforth's insulting of Mr. Mell - the teacher at Salem house, and Tommy Traddles' sticking up for the Mr. Mell are one noteworthy. But the wide gap between the gentry and the working class is an important observation in this book. The attitude of scorn with which Mrs. Steerforth regards Mr. Peggorty, the attitude of ridicule infested hate with which Rosa Dartle treats Emily are pertinent to be observe
(2). But the author has insights of the various types of people aboard in the journey called life, as he introduces us to the ultimate villain of all, a villain who cannot be righted come what may, in Uriah Heep

In the case of Uriah Heep, if the cause for the births of 'Uriah Heeps' are considered, that there is a fertile ground for such seeds to take root is clear. His 'umbleness'(3) is an act of deception, which he uses till it leads to his objective. While the likes of Heap uses such deception to plot the downfall of the likes of Whigfield, Peggoty's of life accept their lot are proud of it and make it work, as best they can. I guess it is the Peggoty's of life that Dicken's respect and awes at.(4)  Joe in Great Expectations is another example. 

The novel is full of characters of many such characters, that the autor has painted with life - the blood draining MacCaubers, Maudestones, such genuine characters as Traddles, Dora, Agnes - all vivid ones which make the book near a masterpiece of its time. I for one would've felt I'd missed an important part of the author's work, with a deep carve into then life of Britain if I hadn't read this.

Rating: *****
First published as a book in 1850.

1- Since then I've read Oliver Twist and Bleak House to take my Dicken's tally to seven.
2- An aspect that I had not touched upon was Rosa's love for Steerforth, which automatically aggravates any dislike that Rosa would have for Emily.
3- Somehow I had missed the rock band Uriah Heep, and how they not only have taken their name from this fictitious character, but even their debut album is titled 'Very 'eavy... Very 'umble'. I, in fact checked to see if they had album titled 'number 27' - not so.
4- Am wondering if this is a British thing, to think that countrymen, and those who work with their hands are easier to deal with. Consider the lyrics of 'The Chamber of 32 Doors' by the Genesis.

I'd rather trust a countryman than a townmanYou can judge by his eyes, take a look if you canHe'll smile through his guard, survival trains hardI'd rather trust a man who works with his handsHe looks at you once, you know he understandsDon't need any shield, when you're out in the field



No comments:

Post a Comment