Sunday 24 January 2021

Music - as per my preference (2020)

 Finally, I've managed to listen and list out to my preference, from all the music albums of 2020, that I opted to listen to. Usually the top 20 is what I consider to be, the year's best music, but this year, I felt it is only fair to extend it to the top25, or even 26,27, because there was such a good collection of music. For each of the albums, their ranking is based on rating system that took into consideration each track, how consistent it is as an album, what is the likelihood of my returning to the album ( a very important factor, as I see music) and also a rating of 1-5 stars.

It was an interesting year. Pearl Jam, to came out with possibly their best album in years, a real grower in you, if you're patient enough to listen to it 4-5 times ( which I did). Only Fiona Apple appears in the top 5, besides Pearl Jam, from my usual firm favourites.

While Joan Osborne is in the top 10, while Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and the Pet Shop Boys appear in the top 20 - that's as far as my traditional favorites go. Although Smashing Pumpkins haven't been one of my favourite bands in their "the world is a vampire days", Billy's singing is much better these days, and I've taken a liking to them at least since Oceania. Other usual appearances in top 20 include Stephen Malkmus, while Roisin Murphey has her second appearance in recent years - her first inside the top 10.

Two excellent Jazz records by way of Pat Methany and Shabaka and the Ancestors, the former in top 5, and the latter inside the top 20, are highlights I feel.

Of those who missed the top 20, I liked the Green Day, Ossy Osbourne and AC/DC albums in particular. Weller starts sounding well to be inside the top 20, but loses steam half way through. Albums by Puscifier and Nada Surf can divulge more, on even more listens ( I've listened to each about 5-6 times - no less ), but their kind of music with its wit ( Nada surf) and thoughts, could take even more time ( time I don't have).

Some of my favourite artistes who missed out, this year - Bruce Hornsby and Sufjan Stevens - who both fail to come inside the top 40. I think I've listened to a total of 50 albums or more, the ones not listed here being the albums by The Weeknd, John Frusciante ( an interesting album, but very experimental - and honestly, beyond me ), Lucinda Williams, Mandy Moore, and the Flaming Lips, which didn't keep my interest throughout the year.

  1 Gigaton -  Pearl Jam ****1/2
  2 Island Owen Pallet ****1/2
  3 song for our daughter - Laura Marling ****1/2
  4 Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple ****1/2
  5 From this place -Pat Methany ****1/2
  6 Dark Sea -Man of Moon ****1/2
  7 ohms - deftones ****
  8 Roisin Machine - Roisin Murphey ****1/2
  9 The New Abnormal -The Strokes ****
10 trouble and strife -Joan Osborne ****1/2
11 Set my heart on fire immediately - Perfume Genius ****
12 cyr -Smashing Pumpkins****
13 Whole new mess -Angel Olsen ****
14 traditional techniques - Stephen Malkmus ****
15 perdida -Stone Temple Pilots ****
16 Hotspot -Pet Shop Boys ****
17 The Universal Want -Doves ****
18 letter to you -Bruce Springsteen ****
19 Rough and Rowdy ways -Bob Dylan ****
20 We are sent here by history - Shabaka and the Ancestors ****
21 The Slow Rush - Tame Impala ****
22 On Sunset -Paul Weller ****
23 Father of all MFs -Green day ****
24 never not together -Nada Surf ****
25 Hate for Sale -Pretenders ****
26 Existential Reckoning -Puscifer ****
27 Shore -Fleet Foxes ****
28 Reunion - Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit ****
29 Ordinary Man Ozzy Osbourne ****
30 Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was -Bright Eyes ****
31 power up -AC/DC ****
32 microphones in 2020 -microphones ****
33 Song Machine Season One: Strange Timez - Gorillaz ***1/2
34 McCartney III -Paul McCartney ***1/2
35 by the fire -Thurston Moore ****
36 Pick me up off the floor - Norah Jones ***1/2
37 Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers ***1/2
38 making a door less open -car seat head rest ***1/2
39 Imploding the Image -The Killers ***1/2
40 Whoosh! - Deep Purple ***1/2
41 10 songs -Travis ***
42 getting into knives- The Mountain Goats ***
43 Non-Secure Connection -  Bruce Hornsby ***
44 The Ascension - 
Sufjan Stevens ***
45 all visible objects Moby ***

No comments:

Post a Comment